Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Uhn Tss, uhn tss, uhn tss

I got the beat in my head, the feeling in my feet..."What do you want to do,"  I JUST WANNA DANCE!!!  No, I'm just kidding I don't really want to dance, however if the mood fits, I'm in.  Well, anywhoo, random Thursday, getting dinner with Jillian and Posef.  Looking forward to the sushi.  Hmm, what else.  Oh, half day tomorrow, and totally looking forward to Christmas now.  Seriously, how epic is this holiday season?

So lately I've been searching for the perfect french toast.  It's a weird phenomenon honestly.  Is there really a perfect anything?  No not really...however there is something called the perfect cheesesteak.  Being relatively close to the Philadelphia region, and wandering the streets of Philly, I know a thing or two about cheesesteaks.  Seriously, I do, and I'm going to list the top ten cheesesteaks in the Philadelphia region.  So let's be that guy, and start it up.

10. Pat's King of Steaks


Pat's is only in here for one reason and one reason only.  If it weren't for Pat and Harry Olivieri, Philly would never have this gem of a sandwich.  It has to be recognized that Pat's was a leader of what they have made and done.  Yes, there has been over a million sandwiches sold, they make a greasy chopped cheesesteaks, it oozes with wiz, and the fried onions are spectacular.  It's the first bite of a real cheesesteak that any novice cheesesteak eater should eat.  Enjoy it.  It's good, not great, good.  And there may be a ton of haters out there, and tons of people that enjoy it.  It is what it is.  They were the first, and I'll recognize that, but I'm not, and I repeat, I am not claiming they are one of the best.  They're okay, they will never be great in my eyes.  Enjoy the ride of it...but there are better out there, and I'm going to show you that with the next few places.  

9th and Passyunk
Philadelphia, PA
2 Greasy Rolls - Okay Sandwich

9.  Pudge's


Okay, I remember the first time I ever went to this cheesesteak place, I was going to Rutgers, and my brother said, "Hey, you wanna get a cheesesteak?"  Yeah sure Wei, why not doode?  Well to my surprise, Wei Tak took me to Blue Bell.  Yeah, to my surprise, it was a cheesesteak outside of Philadelphia, and man, it was good.  However, as my taste buds grew up, I realized it, Pudge's was good, not great.  However, because of the size of their cheesesteaks, a little longer than 2 feet, it made it a pretty darn good sandwich.  And well...here we are.  

1530 DeKalb Pike
Blue Bell PA
2 1/2 Greasy Rolls - Good Sandwich

8. Chubby's Steak


Ahhh...Chubby's, man were you a pain in the ass to find.  However, you were delicious.  A nice greasy roll, and the nice thinly chopped steak, greasy, cheesy, savory deliciousness.  Good steak, my only complaint a little too greasy, but I do enjoy licking the grease off my fingers.  So yummy.  Once again, an okay sandwich, better than some of the other unmentionables.  

5826 Henry Ave. at Wendover St.
Philadelphia, PA
2 1/2 Greasy Rolls - Good Sandwich

7. Delassandro's


This was one of the last few places on my travels for looking for the best cheesesteaks in Philadelphia.  Even though it was across from Chubby's, I just didn't know, and I couldn't find it.  So making a second trek out to the Roxborough wasn't excruciating.  I don't know why it took me forever, but it did.  I wish I had found it sooner, however better late than never I guess.  Delassandro's had a very cheesy and sweet tasting caramelized onion on top of their steak.  Because the steak is chopped very thinly, almost into a minced type steak, I enjoy a grisly steak where the fat gives off a nice flavor, and that's what this steak does, the cheese is able to ooze throughout the entire sandwich and both flavor's just meld together nicely, it's a really nice touch.  It's a good sandwich, the bread is okay, nice and chewy, almost a home baked taste.  It doesn't scream the best, but it screams, I'm a good sandwich, and good enough to make it to the top 10.  

600 Wendover Street
Philadelphia PA
3 Greasy Rolls - Great Sandwich

6.  Tony Luke's 


Tony Luke's, back in my day, you were always my go to cheesesteak.  I went to you cause you would never sell out.  You had fresh bread, crispy, crusty, and delicious.  Thick slabs of non-frozen rib-eye, and thick cheesy wiz with delicious fried onions.  You were a beautiful thing, and even though things are a little different nowadays, frozen beef slabs, chewy rolls, and a little more grisly/greasy, and selling out to tourists...I still don't mind, I enjoy going up to the window and saying, "Can I get a wiz wit."

39 East Oregon Avenue (South Philly)
Philadelphia, PA 
3 Greasy Rolls - Great Sandwich

5. Sonny's Famous


Mmm...mmm...good.  Sonny has always done one thing for me that I enjoyed the most.  Take my favorite cut of beef (ribeye) slice it thin and grill it.  Oh wait, that's not what Sonny's did, instead, they took my favorite cut of beef, and made thick slices of steaks.   Every bite is a meaty bite, of both cheese and beef and onion.  A nice crispy roll, and honestly it's good.  Not a super greasy cheesesteak as well.  Instead, the only grease comes from fat from the steak itself.  let the deliciousness ensue.  

216 Market Street
Philadelphia PA
3 1/2 Greasy Rolls - Excellent Sandwich

4.  Campo's Deli


Oh Campo's, what a treat you were to me when I first met you.  You were succulent and delicious, you taught me that a cheesesteak doesn't have to be made in South Philly, and that I can find a cheesesteak anywhere.  It's a winner when you start with Sarcone's bread, seeded non-seeded, it don't matter to me to me, Sarcone's make some of the best bread in the world.  This is a great sandwich all around, cheesy, beefy, delicious.  Try one, you won't deny it.  But try their other sandwiches too...they make great sandwiches.   

214 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
3 1/2 Greasy Rolls - Excellent Sandwich

3. Steve's Prince of Steak


I remember the first time I went to Steve's.  I wasn't crazy about it.  Me and Ant had gone together.  I thought it was terrible honestly.  It just wasn't good to me.  It was tough, chewy, and well I thought the cheese was very watery.  I promised myself, I wouldn't go back.  However, when I got a little older, I went back.  It was delicious.  I don't know, maybe it was just an off day those few years back, but it was better the second time around, thick crusty roll, nothing like the chewy italians.  Thick slices of ribeye, and this time around not tough at all, but better yet more buttery and delicious.  And lastly those fried onions on that thick creamy savory cheese wiz...amazing.  It was good, so if you had a bad experience the first time around, always give it a second shot, cause yeah, it was definitely better the second time around.  

7200 Bustleton Avenue at St. Vincent
Philadelphia, PA
3 1/2 Greasy Rolls - Excellent Sandwich

2. Chink's Steaks


Okay, I'm telling you right now, get over the name now.  Cause I don't give a shit, and neither should you. I remember the first time here.  I saw a few Asians and Caucasians outside complaining about the name.  They tried handing me brochures and what not, trying to make me avoid going into this awful awful place because of the name.  Don't go in, it's racist, I looked at each and one of them, laughed, and said, "I need to get a sandwich, and you people are in my way.  I have a date with a cheesesteak, fries, and a supposedly epic milkshake..."  I went in with a smile on my face, and knowing I was going to taste glory.  And for the next 20 minutes I did.  You get these sandwiches one way, fried onions and American cheese.  Great steak sandwich, however it isn't the best, it's the atmosphere, and their shakes that sold me.  Great shakes made with frozen bananas...delicious.  

6030 Torresdale Avenue
Philadelphia PA
4 Greasy Roll - Outstanding Sandwich

And finally our NUMBER 1!!!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V



1. John's Roast Pork


Take a good look at this cheesesteak.  This is the perfect cheesesteak.  No matter where you are from, Europe, Asia, Australia, NYC, California, Florida, Texas, Chicago, it don't matter.  You may be in an area that makes a cheesesteak, but no one does it better than Philly.  NYC has their pizza, Chicago has their hotdogs, Texas has their BBQ, and Philly has their cheesesteaks, and the best comes from a little shack called John's Roast Pork.  For years I have been coming here.  I don't call ahead to pick up my order, I wait in line, and make sure my sandwich is made fresh in front of me.  Whether the building is packed with over 30 or 40 people, and I have no where to move.  I wait in line, and order my cheesesteak from the grill, and when JRP sells out of bread for the day, they're done for the day.  JRP makes one of the greatest cheesesteaks ever.  The amalgamation of rib eye, cheese, and onions is amazing.  Every cheesesteak consist of 1 pound of beef, the middle of the bread, (which is also amazing, a crusty, chewy, seeded roll) is stripped of it's doughy center to make room for the beef, and the time and attention that the steak is on the grill with the cheese and onion is amazing.  Seasoned to perfection, and finally ladled onto the roll perfectly.  It is a process, a loving process...and if you ever come to Philadelphia, PA...try a JRP cheesesteak.  You will never have any that is better.  If I could eat one thing for the rest of my life and never have a problem...it would be this sandwich.  

14 E. Synder Ave.
Philadelphia PA
5 Greasy Rolls - Legendary Sandwich


Some honorable mentions:

Honorable Mentions:
Donkey's Place - Camden NJ
Shank's - Philadelphia PA
Rick's - Philadelphia PA

Give it a shot, and if you disagree, let me know.  I love to hear your opinion. 

2 comments:

  1. Have you had the CHEESESTEAK EGGROLL? If not, be ashamed of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...I be a terrible Asian if I didn't. ^___^

    ReplyDelete