Sunday, January 15, 2012

Obscure Music Saturday

Last week as I did my obscure music Saturday I showcased Arcade Fire.  However with it, I also added a band, Ran Tan Toon.  I really wanted to do a separate article on them, and well, here it is.  Now before I start this article, and before you start reading this.  I just want to say, keep an open mind folks.  Listen to something thats different and out there.  This is why I choose to write articles like this.  I think everyone deserves a shot, and to me, there is no such thing as bad music.  Everything deserves a listen, and if you are true musician you'll agree with this.  Fun and kitschy music is all and good, however, sometimes it's the artsy and unknown that makes music worth while.  So, as it was said before, keep and open mind, and an open ear, and follow the journey.


So Ran Tan Toon, well there are three musicians, Mark Forchic, the guitarist of the group.  Paul Galdi, the bass player, and lastly the drummer, Andrew Toy.  The band formed roughly about 4 years ago, Paul, the bass player from North Jersey, answered a craiglist ad from Mark to begin forming this band.  Paul being a personal friend of mine and listening to the story behind it all reminded me that the life as an artist isn't the easiest.  However, when you're good, and you have that dream, you shouldn't get discourage.



Not that it has been difficult, but it hasn't been a super easy process, and after a couple of drummers later, Ran Tan Toon has found one by the name of Mr. Andrew Toy.  Put all three musicians together, and you got Ran Tan Toon.  So what kind of band is Ran Tan Toon, well from the words of Mr. Galdi himself, it's a mix really.  It's a jazz band with a big band/jam band feel, an improvisational and experimental band.  They play a medley of music, and they all sound great.  To me, it's between chill music, where I can sit and drink too, or when they want and they kick in with a more intense beat and sound, I'm positive you can dance to it.  Good stuff really.  

If you really want to hear them, you can catch them at a few places.  "Time," in Philadelphia, PA was the first time I heard them live.  So along with the great music, grab a drink, between their liquor selection and beer selection, they have a legendary food menu as well.  They can also be seen at, "John and Peter's," in New Hope, PA; "Valley Stables," in Oakland, NJ; and "Chris's Jazz Cafe," in Philadelphia, PA.  If you get a chance go out and take a listen.  Have a meal, and a drink.  You won't be disappointed.  

So what do you expect to hear from Ran Tan Toon?  Here's what you should expect, from the mouth of Paul Galdi, "If you're going to come to see us, come with an open mind, some of the music will groove to you, and some of it will be an assault on your senses, but come and listen to three great musician who will be communicating with each other and communicating off the audience, we will be feeding off of your energy."  This band is about the whole, and not just the individual.  When you hear the band, and you see that Ran Tan Toon is the name, and you ask why?  The answer is that this is a Frank Zappa reference, and with that in mind, you know where this band is heading.  

Paul asked me how do I feel about his band, and I don't say it because I'm his friend, but I enjoy Paul and his bandmates band.  I told Paul, this is something, if put on vinyl, I would throw on relax and chill.  There's something to be said when your senses go crazy over the sound of 3 musical instruments.  What is it that makes instrumental music so visceral?  Well, if you take a listen, you will find out.  I enjoy the fact that it is so visceral, and I can picture colors and feel the vibration of the music.  Once again this is the kind of music where you can just close your eyes too and just say, yeah, this works.  They just keep you enthralled, they just keep you listening.  And whether you like them or hate them, you won't be bored listening to them.  So give them a shot, keep an open mind, and sit back and relax.


For a few years now, I've been pushing Kina Grannis as an artist.  It looks as though the end of 2011 and now the beginning of 2012, people are starting to notice her, and she's finally getting the recognition that she deserves.  This band right here, is just like.  And just like before, from the ground up, I know that this band will get the recognition that they deserve.  It takes time, but the more they get their music out there, and the more people listen to it, the more it's going to get bigger.  It's these types of artist/musicians that deserve this recognition.  I wasn't wrong about Kina, and I'm pretty positive I won't be wrong about this band either.  

2 comments:

  1. where's chris' jazz cafe at? Love to check that place out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never replied to this Kwan, sorry about that. It's 1421 Sansom Street, in Philly.

    ReplyDelete