Sunday, November 13, 2011

10 Best Rappers Alive Now

I wanted to do something fun, something different.  So today, I'm naming my top 10 rappers alive today.  Yeah, it's not super important, or even relevant in life.  It's just a slice of fun that I feel like doing.  What can I say, writing about how life is difficult, and things need to change is all fun and good, but sometimes I just like shooting the shit, and writing stuff that's on the lighter side.  So I'm giving a fair warning, this is my list, not your list or anybody else's list.  If you want to disagree with the list, or even hate who I have chosen, it's not that I don't give a shit...well, technically I don't.  However, if you want to add your own 2 cents by all means do so.  I love to hear your opinion.  And just like this blog, this is all my own opinion.  So deal with it.

10.  Eminem

If anybody knows me, this is a big deal to put Mr. Slim Shady himself on this list.  However, the man is a lyricist and he can rap.  I'll give him the credit he deserves.  Back when Eminem first hit the scene, it was thought that the man was just going to be another white rapper trying to make it, now Eminem is full fledged, and is greatly respected artist.  Give credit where credit is due.  With "Love the Way you Lie," and "Lighters," being played regularly, and him making hits with greats such as Kanye and T.I., it's good to see that Em has made it for himself.  Not my favorite, but he deserves the respect.

Favorite Song: Lose Yourself
"You better lose yourself in the musicThe moment you own it you better never let it go, ohYou only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blowCuz opportunity comes once in a lifetime"
9.  Drake

Drake would have totally been up higher on the list, however he seems like all he sings is slow raps and love songs.  What the fuck happened to you Drake?  Anyway, I've heard Drake rap live before, it didn't sound that great, so this also deducts points for good old Drake.  As a lyricist I like it. He has a nice flow to his stuff, and he sounds great recorded.  So I'll give him that.  However like I said, Drake could have done so much better for himself.  I respected him more with his older stuff.

Favorite Song: Best I Ever Had
"Sweat pants, hair tied, chillin' with no make-up onThat's when you're the prettiest, I hope that you don't take it wrongYou don't even trip when friends say you ain't bringin' Drake alongYou know that I'm working, I'll be there soon as I make it home" 
 8.  50 Cent

Another rapper that fell from grace.  50 your first album was a classic.  It was awesome.  Wanksta - 21 Questions.  Then your albums became worse and worse, I couldn't stomach your newer stuff, maybe that was just my evolution into the whole hip-hop/rap genre.  You just made me more and more mad.  I didn't get it, it was unenjoyable.  More and more, I became and saw you as a, "Meh," rapper.  Soon you were out of the limelight, and the only way you could stay in the game was to try and have a beef with ever rapper alive.  Yes Fiddy we know, you were shot nine times, but that will not get you anywhere if you're whining like a bitch because Chelsea Handler dumps you.  Geez...come on doode, you're from the streets.  However, 50 is a guilty pleasure of mine, and if one of his older songs come on, I'm listening.

Favorite Song: Many Men
"I'm the diamond in the dirt, that ain't been found I'm the underground king and I ain't been crowned When I rhyme, something special happen every time I'm the greatest, something like Ali in his prime" 
7. Lupe Fiasco

Yeah, I'm a Lupe fan.  It is what it is.  A skateboarding rapper.  Puts a smile on my face.  So many great songs from this guy, and he rhymes so intelligently,  Makes me happy.  I get a lot of shit for putting him on my list...especially from Dave, but I understand, he really hasn't proved himself and he really could be better.  However I don't complain.  I throw on my headphones, lean back and listen to the beat and lyrics.  They are quite catchy, and the tune just gets to me.

Favorite Song: Kick Push
"First time he got on it he slippedLanded on his hip and bust his lipFor a week he had to talk with a lispLike thisNow we can end the story right hereBut shorty didn't quit it was something in the airYeaHe said it was somethin' so appealingHe couldn't fight the feelin'Somethin' about itHe knew he couldn't doubt itCouldn't understand itBrand it, since his first kickflip he land it"
6. T.I.

Some call him King, some call him something else.  I just think he's a rapper who is talented enough to throw out a bunch of lyrics.  Whether you want to believe he is the King or not, I don't see anybody "Watching his Throne," eh eh eh?  Seriously, he is good.  He has the chops to back it up, and the beats are good.  Take him for what he is, T.I. does it, and yeah I enjoy the music.

Favorite Song: Whatever you Like
"Shawty you da hottest, love the way you drop it Brain so good (good) coulda swore you went to college Hundred K deposits, vacations in the tropics errbody know it ain't trickin if ya got it"  
5. Lil Wayne

Wayne, Wayne, Wayne, you've came out with so many mix tapes it has lost all meanings, and no matter how hard I try to keep up with them, I've finally given up on that.  However the ones that I have listened to I enjoyed immensely.  Good times, Carter III one of the most enjoyable CDs ever.  Lil Wayne, lots of good times my friend, lots of good times.

Favorite Song: Dr. Carter
"Okay.Respect is in the heart.So that's where I'm gonna start.And a lot of heart patients don't make it.Now hey kidsPlural I graduatedCause you could get through anything if Magic made it.And that was called recyclingOr recitingSomething cause you just like itSo you say it just like it.Some say its bitingBut i say its enlighteningBesides Dr. Kanye West is one of the brightest."
4. Common

Ahh...Common.  Intelligence is a key.  There are rappers out there who rap about non-sense, and then there are rappers who rap about intelligent shit that needs to be rapped about.  It's smart on there end.  Common is on the latter end.  He is a man with a lyrical rap sheet that is just smart.  I love it.  Nothing else more can be said.

Favorite Song: I use to Love Her
"I met this girl, when I was ten years oldAnd what I loved most she had so much soulShe was old school, when I was just a shortyNever knew throughout my life she would be there for meont he regular, not a church girl she was secularNot about the money, no studs was mic checkin herBut I respected her, she hit me in the heart"
3. Nas

Does this even have to be asked about?  Why is Nas on here?  Because he may be one of the best rappers ever.  If you don't believe it, get his discography.  Nas had that beef with Jay-Z, however lately things have cleared up between the two.  And they actually both on the same label now.  Good for you Nas, your shit is good, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Favorite Song: NY State of Mind

"Rappers I monkey flip 'em with the funky rhythm I be kickinMusician, inflictin compositionof pain I'm like Scarface sniffin cocaineHoldin a M-16, see with the pen I'm extreme, nowBulletholes left in my peepholesI'm suited up in street clothesHand me a nine and I'll defeat foes"
2. Jay-Z

Jigga, Hova, President of the R-O-C, whatever you want to call him, Jay-Z is the man.  Building an empire out of nothing, starting from a person on the street to being one of the richest CEOs makes him great.  And lets not deny Jay-Z's talent at rhyming and choosing the right people to have follow him.  From Beanie to Kanye.  Jay had his hand in a lot of it.  Jay will forever be a hip hop legend.  He made hip hop what it is today.

Favorite Song:  Public Service Announcement (Interlude)
"Allow me to re-introduce myself, My name is Hov', OH, H-to-the-O-VI used to move snowflakes by the O-Z, I guess even back then you can call me CEO of the R-O-C, Hov!"

AND THE NUMBER ONE IS...






1. Kanye West

Okay okay, I know what you're thinking, why?  Well, seriously think about it.  Kanye has changed the game in the hip-hop community.  Both as an entertainer and as a rapper.  He changed things to be different, and he changed the game.  It's great to see an artist pushing the boundaries pushing to be different.  From "College Dropout," to "808s and Heartbreaks."  It has been an amazing ride watching Kanye making beats for Jay, and finally coming through with his albums.  Nothing but greatness...Kanye is the man everyone needs beats from, and Kanye may not be a lyrical genius he may think he may be, however he is good to survive, win Grammys and win awards.  Yeah, he's a jerk, but I don't know...maybe I strive to be a jerk like him.  Hahaha...no.

Favorite Song:  Too many to mention...


Yeah, this is one of my favorites, enjoy guys and gals.  HIP HOP!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment