Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

Whether you think it's a hokey, pretentious, or just another Hallmark holiday.  If I can take a line from Kina, "I know some say this day is arbitrary," but it isn't.  You have to admit it, it's a big day.  I've always enjoyed this holiday.  Starting from when I was a kid, until now.  Just so many great things, candy, cards, flowers, all the good stuff.

So where do we begin, I say childhood/grade-school.  Remember the little boxes you would make to get all your Valentines day cards?  I know you do.  And then taking all your cards for everyone and passing them out.  Having those first grade crushes.  Awesome.  I think that's what makes me happiest most.  Just remembering all the little stuff.  Oh, and cute little pink cupcakes...epic.  

As time moved on and we got to high school.  It all kinda remained the same.  Instead you didn't get cards for everyone, and you definitely didn't just give out cards.  Between candy grams and buying flowers for girls, it all just got a lot more complicated.  However in a fun and cutesy way I guess.  Man I loved candy grams.  They were awesome, and oh so adorable.  

Finally living in the real world and being a grown adult what does Valentine's Day give us?  Well I'll never admit it, but it does give you agita ever once in a while.  Between the fact that you have to celebrate the day, and get and give that special someone in your life something, makes it kinda difficult.  However, like any real adult.  I don't think this day should define a relationship.  Instead, I'm going to agree with all the cliche talk that I have been seeing and hearing all day.  This is something you gotta do everyday.  If you love someone, don't just show it on this day.  Do it like you mean it, and show it everyday.  So for all you lovely couples out there enjoying this evening, remember it's not just today.  

Oh, and another thing.  Ladies, realize how much that guy cares about you.  Because technically, this is a holiday for you.  A guy could care less about this day, he doesn't expect anything at all.  And for all you women out there saying, "I don't expect anything."  We know it hurts a little if you don't get squat.  So please don't tell us that, when you don't mean it.  Enjoy your day ladies, and treat them well fellas.  Happy Valentine's day everybody.  

"Remember the little things in life...cause one day, they'll be the big things."

3 comments:

  1. On this day, I want to set fire to the rain...or anything I stumble upon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...why? Valentine's Day is awesome Kwan. ^___^ you ladies get gifts and stuff. It's good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not everyone gets them, and it's such a great example of how materialistic the American culture is. I'm usually super happy for the following day when every sugary crap sold in drug stores are half-off :)

    ReplyDelete