Sunday, March 25, 2012

Foodie Weekend

What a weekend.  I don't know what else I could say about this weekend.  Probably the most fun time I had in a while.  I'm a foodie at heart, and well, I did many things, but lets get the food aspect of it out of the way.  It's the most food I've eaten since my Amsterdam trip that was different.  I don't know, I guess you can say everything was worth every bite.  And you know what?  Having your best friends with you doesn't hurt at all.  I had a blast in Amsterdam, but I realize how much I missed having people around.  Yesterday was nothing like that.  I had great company and great food.  And with that.  Let's start this blog.

So the first place we hit was Bon Chon, known for their Korean style chicken wings.  These things were delicious.  I don't know what it is, but it's the extra crispy wings that make them delicious to me.  How can I explain this.  It's not super saucy and the well, the wings when you bite into them have this great crispy texture, the texture of a really good chicharon.  Like good crispy pig skin.  It was so good.  Like I said, not to saucy but still had a nice kick.  We got the half and half, a soy glazed one and a hot wing.  Oh man, this things are addictive, if you haven't had them yet try them out.  They are located on: 207 West 38th Street
New York, NY 10018.  Oh man are they addictive...I kinda want some now.  

Visit http://www.bonchon.com/ for more info. 
What's next?  Let's see...oh, mini cupcakes.  The oddest creation ever I think.  They're just cupcakes the size of a nickel.  And you know what...I think they're worth it.  Well for a buck a piece...maybe.  I don't know.  It was good.  I had a peanut butter and jelly cupcake and a s'mores cupcake.  Yummy.  Only in New York would you find a place like this.  Take a chance, and take a look.  It's awesome.  

Picture doesn't do it justice here.  They look like regular sized cupcakes...however...

They're super tiny, I was hoping you can see my fingers in this pic.  Good luck.  
After the little cupcakes, I think my favorite joint came up next.  Man this is one of the best meals a person could have, I loved every second of it.  Yum-O!  Yup, pulled a Rachel Ray.  Dave and Steffie basically popped my Halal Cart cart cherry by taking me to one of the original Halal Guys cart on 53rd street in NYC.  This shit was orgasmic.  I mean dangerously orgasmic.  I didn't want to tell Dave and Steffie I wanted to get my own, but I really did.  I was very cautious of this meal, cause I knew we would be eating a ton more, but I really just wanted to push everyone out of the way of the carts and say..."MY CART!, THIS IS MY CART!"  However supposedly the story goes, these guys carry knives, and I am not in the business of getting my ass stabbed for white sauce and red sauce.  Delicious, and please believe, I may have found my substitute for Philly.  I might just drive to Center City to pick one up one day.  Dangerous.  Oh, and by the way, I'll explain the dish.  The dish consists of chicken and lamb on a bed of rice and lettuce, with a shredding of turkish bread.  The amalgamation of both meats and rice and bread are amazing.  Perfectly season cubed meats and then the superior white and red sauces splayed all over it. Ugh...I don't know how to explain it.  There are many that have no clue what this white sauce is made of, some say it's crack, others say it's a mixture of mayo, yogurt, and sour cream.  To me, whatever that shit is...it's delicious, and another thing, I don't care what's in it, as long as I can get me some extra of it.  MMMMMmmmmMMMM...

Men at work

Perfection in ingredients































Now the next stop on our foodie tour was Dave's favorite spot.  For years, I've been craving another pastrami sandwich the likes of Katz's deli.  And you know what?  There isn't any place like Katz's for pastrami, and their pickles?  Well, I'm a bigger fan of their fresher, greener, pickles.  To me, Katz's pastrami will always be best, and it's sandwich shops like these that always makes me want to continue to open one. Thanks for being the inspiration that I need, but your service could use some work.  Yeah...I said it.  

Katz's original.  Delicious
Okay, so we've been to a ton of places at this point, what more could we possibly eat?  Good question, because since we were so close to Katz's Deli, the next reasonable stop had to be Yonah Schimmel Knish Bakery.  Ever had a knish?  If not, I'll try to explain it to the best of my knowledge.  To me a knish has always been a fried doughy outside with a mash potato consistency on the inside.  And these knishes, well they were good.  Quite good.  I actually never really had a knish like this before, so I'm not a real expert.  I thought it was good.  It was up to my standard.  Whatever that standard may be


The last and final stop on our tour of foodie land in NYC is the delicious Italian bakery Caffe Roma, kinda like that touristy joint in Little Italy, but you know what.  I like that.  In the end we all got our own little deserts, and each one was delicious.  Steffie got a tartufo, Dave got himself a mini batch of cookies, and me?  Well I went big and got myself a sfogliatella and a cannoli.  Both of them were amazing.  Oh man, I want another sfogliatella right now.  UUggghh...

Man, look at all these desserts.  Delicious, a great way to end our little food tour, and nothing better than ending it with Italian pastries 
Steffie's Tartufo
Well, that's how it all ended, what a great day this was, as a foodie I couldn't have asked for a better day.  Thank you Dave and Steph for taking me out on a wonderful journey of a day, and thank you once again for everything else this weekend guys.  Love youse guys, always the best.

Oh, and another thing, guys and gals.  I'm going to be adding the link for my fundraising for leukemia and lymphoma society.  Please add to my goal.  Any amount would do.  Thanks ladies and gents.  I really appreciate it.  ^___^
http://los.runteamkina.llsevent.org/wei 
Thanks Everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment