Sunday, July 22, 2012

What's that I hear...A Top 10

Ahhh...it's that time again.  I haven't done one of these in a very long time.  So let's make today...Saturday Funday.  Stupid Wei, should've done this on Sunday Funday.  Anyway, today's topic, top 10 Chinese dishes to me.  In honor of last nights gringo Chinese Buffet, and a suggestion from a lovely friend of mine. I'm gonna run with this gag here.  Most likely doing more authentic Chinese dishes than not.  So with an open heart and and an open, let's get this list done eh?  Yeah.

10.  Sautéd Spinach in Fermented Bean Curd Sauce


Trust me there aren't going to be many vegetable dishes on this top 10, so I'm getting a majority of it out of of the way.  And when I say a majority of it, I mean just this.  Cause this is the only vegetable dish that is on here.  However, I just had to put this dish up.  My Mom makes this dish, and it's excellent.  I love my Mom and Dad's home cooking, they make some of the best dishes ever.  I can say that, my parents owned Chinese restaurants, and they were great at their profession. 

So what does this spinach in fermented bean curd sauce taste like?  Well I'll explain, you first get this strong salty taste, however it is quickly cut with the fresh sautéd spinach.  It's not what you think.  It's delicious.  Because the beans are fermented and salty, and there is so much liquid in the spinach, when the two come together, you naturally get a sauce from the pain, since so much liquid is drawn out.  It's a simple dish, however it is delicious.  Something you wouldn't expect from me on this thing I call a top 10.  But it's good, and I'm gonna say.  My family makes it the best.  

9.  Clams in Black Bean Sauce


Oh yeah, baby clams are so sweet and the mix of ginger, garlic, oyster sauce, soy sauce and mix of other ingredients makes this one of my favorite dishes growing up.  Between the sautéed fried pork, and the little black beans of salty fermented goodness, to that sweet seawater taste that you can only get from the ocean makes me smile.  Wow, this is some good some.  try it, you're not going to miss that Big Mac you're eating.  

8.  Hong Kong Style Wontons and Noodle


Nom, nom, nom, nom.  I really can't explain this, however this is one of my favorite meals as a child growing up.  I love the Hong Kong style wontons, not those fake Americanized wontons.  The best part about this soup/dinner is that the roasted duck is the most amazing portion of this soup.  I love ever bit of it, and you know what, you should probably try it too.  Deliciousness to the max!

7.  Chicken Feet


Yup, this isn't your type of dish that you usually eat.  You're taking the cheapest and most obscure portion of the chicken.  Then you cook it in a spicy brined sauce for hours and wait until it becomes so tender until it falls apart, and it's the most delicious thing you have ever eaten.  I know, I know, the thing looks like talons, and you're pretty afraid of how it looks like.  But take that look off your eyes and try it, you gotta be able to try these things, don't be afraid to try new things in life.  It's what makes it exciting.

6.  Shanghai Soup Dumplings


Well well well, the elusive Shanghai Soup dumplings.  Well okay they're not really elusive.  However these dumplings are just pockets of deliciousness.  However you gotta take your time, and they are quite dangerous.  Be careful of the third degree burns.  Cause when you bite into these little morsels they burst with a pocketful of soup in ever pocket.  Yeah, you got to try but like I said, be careful...cause that soup is hot hot hot!

5.  Hong Kong Style Pan-Fried Noodles


Ahhh...Hong Kong noodles.  Yum-O!  What makes this awesome?  The noodles are pan seared and then a seafood dish with a white sauce is added on top.  So here it is, you get this crispy, then a part of the noodle gets soaked and the noodles become extremely delicious.  Seriously delicious.  I mean it's what makes the meal.  The seafood is awesome, but my favorite portion is the noodles.  You try it, and you'll think the same.  

4.  Mapo Doufu


Spicy, porky, tofuy, deliciousness.  Molten hot sauce, and a blend of all the ingredients makes you well up in tears.  Why?  Because it's really really good.  It's something you don't want to miss.  Why?  Because these are tastes you don't get in any old General Tso's or Kung Pao Chicken or whatever.  Crazy thing.  Enjoy!

3.  Chinese Roast Pig


The best animal on earth.  I can't become a vegetarian because of that little guy up there.  And the Chinese make an epic roast pig.  As a child growing up during the moon festival, we had these guys all the time.  We don't do it as often anymore, however when we did, the meat was succulent and the skin, EXCELLENT!  Crispy and delicious, can't stop won't stop.  

2.  Chinese Clay pot with fish and tofu


Deep fried fish, and tofu, then take some veggies, and throw them in a clay pot and simmer till it is perfection.  It's a great dish, I don't know, the fish is flaky, the sauce is perfect balance of saltiness, and the veggies are crisp.  That taste where you know everything is right.  Yeah, go ahead and eat it.  Cause it is.  It's just right.  

1. Peking Duck


My favorite meal of all Chinese meals, and here it is.  Peking duck.  I love peking duck.  Crispy, meaty, and delicious.  I love it all.  I love the pancakes, I love the hoisin sauce, and I love the scallions, I love that medley when they are altogether.  Cause it makes the best combinations ever.  So yeah, that's my favorite dish ever.  It's great, it's delicious, and Asian can make a hell of a dish.  I just named ten.  Try it, and find out how it's like.  

No comments:

Post a Comment