Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Windy Apple

I don't know what it is, or how it is.  However I'm totally in love with the thought of living in the Big Apple.  I'm still totally in love with the idea of it.  I love me my Philadelphia, but New York is something entirely different.  It's filled with people, stores, and restaurants upon restaurants, upon restaurants.  It's crazy really.  I mean, how can there be a city that never sleeps?  Well, here it is, NYC the epicenter of the world.  I've always said it and I'll continue to say it.  I want to live there, but gotta get an apartment that is less than $3,000 a month.  So for now, lets find out what a foodie can survive on in this city.

So this weekend was a day of exploring.  I've done a foodie tour with Dave and Steffie before.  However this weekend's day foodie trip consisted of different types and also an awesome set of food.  Hot dogs, takoyaki, and more.  So lets begin this foodie blog eh?  Here me go.  So our first stop, some out of this world authentic style tacos.  We ordered a brisket, guaco taco, and a goat taco.  Tacos were amazing, it's a little different than the Americanized tacos, it's the guaco taco that I found to be the most different and amazing.  An extremely spicy and fresh guacamole that gives your mouth a very refreshing and spicy kick in the jaw.  Very nice, I don't know where this place is at, but it was at this mexican market, but the stand was ran by two hipsters.  AWESOME!  So the first spot my bro picked, great choice on his end.  Thanks bud.

Stooooppppp number 2.  Oh takoyaki and okonomiyaki.  I loved the taste of these things, and Otafuku makes some of the best in NYC.  So what is takoyaki and okonomiyaki?  Well lets start with the takoyaki.  Most of the time takoyaki is made of a batter that contains octopus and cabbage and other things in the middle.  Then it is grilled in a circular ball shape griddle.  So you get these octopus filled balls that are just amazing, then they are topped with a savory sour soy sauce based sauce and shaved pork.  And you got yourself one hell of a dish.  Yum-o!  And okonomiyaki, well that's even more awesome.  I love these things.  It's a cabbage filled pancake, that has a ton of sauce and mayonnaise sauce placed on top.  I can't really explain it, but it's awesome and amazing.  Try it and go for it.

Stop number 3, Crif Dogs, so we got ourselves a hot dog joint that isn't Gray's Papaya.  How does it stack up?  Meh, I thought it was okay.  I feel this isn't my first time that I've had a fried hot dog before.  Oh that's right the first time I've had it was in Clifton, NJ at Rutt's Hut, both are great, however I don't know.  It's a little weird the dog was good, but it wasn't great.  I don't know, must have been all the toppings, it didn't do anything for me.  My bro got a Redneck Dog, and I got the Chihuahua dog.  Once again, meh.  It was alright.  I'm going to stick with Rutt's Hut for my fried hot dog goodness.  Stop number 4 is next.

Cafe Habana, it was a cozy and quaint little place.  Quite enjoyable, they have this awesome ears of corn that consist of cotija cheese, chili powder, mayonnaise, and a touch of lime juice.  That makes it awesome right?  Yeah it does, of course it does.  Oh man.  So we all ordered our own entrees Cuban sandwich, a opened pulled pork sandwich with two sunny side eggs placed on top, and I ordered the steak and eggs...I don't know why?  But I did, and all three dishes were amazing.  Last place was another great choice.  Good times had by all.

So yeah, that was my weekend in a nut shell.  Hope you guys enjoyed as well.  GTs had by all.

Oh, and one last thing, Happy Birthday to Kina Grannis, her birthday was celebrated on August 4th.  So in honor of her, here is a song from Ms. Grannis herself.  Happy Birthday Kina.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment