Monday, March 11, 2013

It is What it Is

This weekend that just past, well I gotta admit.  It has to be the best weekend that I've had in a very long time.  I got to do everything that I always love.  I got great food, great company, and great drinking.  No lie, enjoyed my polish food.  Quite delicious, blood sausage and tripe soup, get the hell out of here, where do you get that kind of stuff...okay yes you can get it at a lot of places but, New Wave, and Syrenka didn't play around and it was no lie.

There was something that got my juices running this weekend.  Dave asked me, why don't I be a food critic.  At the time, the only answer I could think of was, what right do I have to judge other people's cooking?  I always believe that if I wanna judge I will, but on my own personal experience, that's why I have that food journal everyone brought me.  Then Jay said, "But I wanna give my thoughts on a restaurant and make sure everyone get the best idea of a restaurant from my experience."  Of course I thought that was a great way to think it.  That's extremely nice of Posef, however my thought is...what if someone doesn't think my taste of food is the same as theirs.  Do I have that right?  No, I don't, especially if I don't like a place.  Maybe it's because I was in the game for so long, maybe it's because I know that any restaurant, no matter how good or bad, no one wants their restaurant to be bashed.  A lot of blood, sweat, and tears go into the biz, I got no right to review someone that has put their all into a place, or recipe.  I could bash a lot of places, of eaten a lot of different foods, but no.  I have no right, and that's why I'm not a food critic.

As you may or may not know, my life has been pretty hectic and stressful.  I've worked over 11-12 hour days for the last 2 months, and well last week has pushed me to my limit.  I'm at a point where, well fuck it.  I just don't care.  Whatever is going to happen, happens at this point.  However I know one thing that will always calm my nerves, and I know one thing that I love doing most.  I enjoy being in the kitchen, whether it's cutting, cooking, and prepping, I love it all.  This weekend, I wanted to make something that I haven't made in a while, and well, beef stroganoff seemed like a great meal to make.  I'm not one to toot my own horn, but I thought a pretty epic job was done with the dinner last night for the family.  Three hour dish, with egg noodles and some sweet peas for a twist of taste.  I thought a good job was done.  Yes, a good job was done.

Well, that's my rant for tonight, there's something I've been thinking about for quite some time, however I'll discuss that tomorrow.  For now, I'm going to imagine that stew of steak, creamy savory gravy, with my mirepoix of onions, carrots...and mushrooms?  Yup.

I may have placed this video up before, but it's this thought.  I just wanted to say how lucky the guy is whoever is engaged to Kina.  Lucky bastard.  Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment