Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Gun Dilemma


If you been under a rock these last few weeks, let me try to get you up to speed.  Unfortunately our country is in a sad state of affairs, shooting after shooting, even after the death of innocent men, women, and children, the shootings continue.  I love the county I live in.  I believe and will continue to believe, America is one of the greatest countries in the world.  We live in a country where the majority rules, and that the people should have their own voice.  That's what makes this country so great, everyone has their own side, and they're allowed to express them as much as they want.  However is the current situation with the gun laws that the US citizens abide by correct?  Are we doing this correctly?  I've always been a strong proponent of the gun laws in the United States, I've even recently applied for my own gun license.  I live in the state of NJ, where the gun laws are extremely strict, and the process takes quite some time.  However, as I'm watching and approaching the one month mark of after applying for my gun license all of this nonsense has been happening and surrounding me.  Let me give you a quick run down within the last 2 weeks.    

Clackamas Town Center: Portland, OR

A cowardly 22 year steals a friend's AR-15 and kills two innocent people at a busy suburban mall.  Killed were Steven Mathew Forsyth, and Cindy Ann Yuille.  I will never glorify this killer by adding his name on this blog.  I could, and it would most likely give you more info.  However I refuse, remember the ones that were killed.  They are the only names that should ever be remembered.  

Sandy Hook Elementary: Newtown, CT

A mentally unstable male, at the age of 20 with Aspergers kills 27 people.  This is not to say that people with Aspergers are prone to violence.  It is just what this man had is all.  Let's remember the following names please.  

Charlotte Bacon, 2/22/06, female
Daniel Barden, 9/25/05, male
Rachel Davino, 7/17/83, female.
Olivia Engel, 7/18/06, female
Josephine Gay, 12/11/05, female
Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 04/04/06, female
Dylan Hockley, 3/8/06, male
Dawn Hochsprung, 06/28/65, female
Madeleine F. Hsu, 7/10/06, female
Catherine V. Hubbard, 6/08/06, female
Chase Kowalski, 10/31/05, male
Jesse Lewis, 6/30/06, male
James Mattioli , 3/22/06, male
Grace McDonnell, 12/04/05, female
Anne Marie Murphy, 07/25/60, female
Emilie Parker, 5/12/06, female
Jack Pinto, 5/06/06, male
Noah Pozner, 11/20/06, male
Caroline Previdi, 9/07/06, female
Jessica Rekos, 5/10/06, female
Avielle Richman, 10/17/06, female
Lauren Rousseau, 6/1982, female (full date of birth not specified)
Mary Sherlach, 2/11/56, female
Victoria Soto, 11/04/85, female
Benjamin Wheeler, 9/12/06, male
Allison N. Wyatt, 7/03/06, female


I will also like to add Nancy Lanza as well, even though some may say that some responsibility/blame may be placed in her hands as well, a life was still loss.  

Quiet Neighborhood: Webster, NY

An Ex-Convicted Felon sets up a fire, ambushes and kills two firefighters.  The firefighters were: Lieutenant Michael Chiapperini and Tomasz Kaczowka.  May they RIP, a coward of a man took two lives too soon.

What else can be said?  I don't know really.   I've always been a strong believe of the Second Amendment, I've always believe in the right to own a pistol, rifle, shotgun, any firearms really.  I've always thought the gun laws were good enough.  They are certainly strict from my end and standpoint, especially in the state of New Jersey.  However after all this senseless acts of violence, there has to be a way to curb this idiocy, and killings.  Honestly, how do we bring back normalcy?  Is there a happy medium for gun laws?  I don't want to take away guns, however I believe there has to be a stricter way of controlling how people get guns.  

People are always preaching guns don't kill people, people kill people.  Is this right?  I've always thought it was.   If there is someone's intent on killing someone else, that intent will always be there.  Let's take the football player on the Kansas City Chiefs.  Lets say guns were not an issue, wouldn't the intent to kill still be there.  Could he have easily killed his wife with his own hands and not with a gun?  Yes I believe it did make it easier for him to kill his own wife with a gun, however the fact is this.  If he really wanted to, and he has truly become unstable, his own two hands strangling and taking the life out of his wife was not incapable, him grabbing a kitchen knife and stabbing her repeatedly was not out of the question.  That intent is there, I've always been saying that guns don't kill people, people kill people.  

However, the other night Mr. Dave made a great point.  Wouldn't have less people been killed if the killers didn't have an AR?  Does anyone really need an Assault Rifle?  This is my dilemma, I don't really have an answer to that.  I've always thought my first two weapons would be a Glock 22 and a AR-15.  But seriously...do I need an AR-15?  Of course not, does anyone need a 30 mag magazine?  No, fudge no, of course not.  So how do I answer this?  Do I still want one?  Are these gun laws correct?  

Every time I try to come up with an answer of some sort, my mind wanders to everyone that have recently loss their lives due to gun violence.  Especially the children.  They are just kids, the only thing innocent children should be worrying about, especially this time of year, is whether they will be getting their gifts that they have asked for from Santa.  That's it.  Instead, we have grieving family members all across the board.  I want change, I really do, and I'm asking for it.  Whether it has to be stricter gun laws or not, there has to be change.  Do I believe in a full blown get rid of all weapons?  No, I believe there are too many weapons out there, and there are definitely too many gunrunners out there for the public not to have a weapon.  However I do believe that there should be a change amongst the laws that are out there.  

There are so many conflicting factors on my end.  I don't know what to believe or want anymore.  Can there be a happy medium?  Can our government provide an answer, will these mindless killings continue?  Seriously, we really do need a superhero of some sort.  A Batman, Superman, or Spiderman would be nice.  However until then, we must believe in the country we live in, and believe that our government will have the right answer.  Lets just hope the answers will come soon, and hope that both sides will be taken in to consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment