Sunday, February 10, 2013

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

CNY, basically it's Chinese New Year.  The year of the snake to be exact.  Whether it's a good thing or not, it is what it is, and it's time to celebrate.  I've eaten the last two days like nobody's business.  Honestly, I'm really just ready to pop.  We've eaten so much, and I don't even know what I've eaten anymore.  However as always...it has been a great Chinese New Year.

I'm looking for a great and prosperous year.  I was never one to believe that things like this would happen.  I also didn't think that Chinese New Year was any different from our regular Westernize New Years.  However it's a little different.  I've learn that in China, it all entirely closes down.  People no longer cook in the main land.  It's mostly reservations to Chinese restaurants in the country now.  The eastern lands are now taking a page in the western world, and most people no longer cook.  As a foodie that makes me sad.  The simple fact is that I love watching my dad cook, watching what he makes.  Everything about it.  

So what's going to happen to our traditions when no one else is there to push it along.  It makes me scared that I have to think about it.  I don't want to think about it.  However the older I get, the more I have to realize this, the more that I have to learn how to pick up these tips and tricks from my own father and mother.  I think it would be great.  However, how do I go about making these dishes?  How do I learn from my father, who has no recipes, but just the heart and memory of doing it.  I want this skill.  I want to learn how to cook like this.  I'm not going to let this tradition die out on me and my family.  

I feel sad that the simple fact that i can make my own pappardelle in a carbonara sauce, however I can't even make a simple seafood and pan fried noodles in a white sauce...god dammit.  Seriously, I can make a god damn carbonara.  But a simple dish like a white sauce with seafood and pan fried noodles is the most difficult sounding thing.  I don't want these traditions to go.  With this idea, for my Chinese New Years resolution, I promise to learn enough of these recipes, and one year, I will cook a Chinese New Year meal.  I will continue our family tradition.  I will continue our tradition, whether it's good or not.  I'm not going to let it die.  I swear.  I promise.  



No comments:

Post a Comment